Find a Retailer Near You CLICK HERE
If you’re planning a backyard refresh, you can purchase any plant, any product with a WaterSense logo and a number of other items without paying sales tax! Shop water smart this Memorial Day Weekend and save!
Find a participating location on the interactive map below:
During Memorial Day Weekend, retailers do not need to charge sales tax on any product tax free that displays a WaterSense label or logo. These items can be bought for either personal or business purposes.
Consumers can also purchase certain water-conserving products tax free. Unlike WaterSense-labeled items, these items are only exempt when purchased for use at a residential property.
Items are tax free during the holiday that are used or planted for:
- conserving or retaining groundwater;
- recharging water tables; or
- decreasing ambient air temperature, and so limiting water evaporation
Examples of items that qualify for the exemption include:
- a soaker or drip-irrigation hose
- a moisture control for a sprinkler or irrigation system mulch
- a rain barrel or an alternative rain and moisture collection system
- a permeable ground cover surface that allows water to reach underground basins, aquifers or water collection points
- all plants, trees and grasses
- water-saving surfactants
- soil and compost
Examples of items that do not qualify for the exemption include:
- construction/building materials
- awnings and other items used to create shade
- air conditioners
- ceiling fans
For more information from the Texas Comptroller’s Office visit here.
If you own a retail business, CLICK HERE to get more information & let us know you are participating.[/vc_column_text]