Click here for a list of participating locations!
List and Map of Participating Retail Garden Center Locations:
If you’re planning a backyard refresh, you can purchase any plant, any product with a WaterSense logo and a number of other items without paying sales tax! Shop water smart this Memorial Day Weekend and save!
During Memorial Day Weekend, retailers do not need to charge sales tax on any product tax free that displays a WaterSense label or logo. These items can be bought for either personal or business purposes.
Consumers can also purchase certain water-conserving products tax free. Unlike WaterSense-labeled items, these items are only exempt when purchased for use at a residential property.
Items are tax free during the holiday that are used or planted for:
- conserving or retaining groundwater;
- recharging water tables; or
- decreasing ambient air temperature, and so limiting water evaporation
Examples of items that qualify for the exemption include:
- a soaker or drip-irrigation hose
- a moisture control for a sprinkler or irrigation system mulch
- a rain barrel or an alternative rain and moisture collection system
- a permeable ground cover surface that allows water to reach underground basins, aquifers or water collection points
- all plants, trees and grasses
- water-saving surfactants
- soil and compost
Examples of items that do not qualify for the exemption include:
- construction/building materials
- awnings and other items used to create shade
- air conditioners
- ceiling fans
For more information from the Texas Comptroller’s Office visit here.
If you own a retail business, CLICK HERE to get more information & let us know you are participating.