Adopt these watering practices and you’ll be watering smarter:
- Water plants deeply, but less frequently, to encourage deep root growth and drought tolerance.
- Use drip irrigation or soaker hoses for shrubs, trees and vegetables to reduce evaporation and apply water directly to the root. Consider installing a timer so you don’t have to remember to turn the water off.
- Use a rain barrel, storage tank or buckets to capture rainwater from your downspouts for use in watering your garden.
- Water in the morning or evening when temperatures are cooler to minimize evaporation.
- Adjust sprinklers and drip irrigators so only your lawn is watered and not the house, sidewalk, or street. Regularly inspect irrigation systems to make sure they’re working properly.