Memorial Day Weekend Saturday, May 29 – Monday, May 31
The Lawn & Garden Tax Holiday was created in 2016 to encourage responsible water use in Texas. Over Memorial Day Weekend, retailers can sell select water saving products without charging sales tax (includes all plants & more). Below is a list of the items that qualify for the sales tax exemption:
WaterSense Products During Memorial Day Weekend, retailers do not need to charge sales tax on any product tax free that displays a WaterSense label or logo. These items can be bought for either personal or business purposes.
Water-Conserving Products Consumers can also purchase certain water-conserving products tax free. Unlike WaterSense-labeled items, these items are only exempt when purchased for use at a residential property.
Items are tax free during the holiday that are used or planted for:
- conserving or retaining groundwater;
- recharging water tables; or
- decreasing ambient air temperature, and so limiting water evaporation
Examples of items that qualify for the exemption include:
- a soaker or drip-irrigation hose
- a moisture control for a sprinkler or irrigation system
- a rain barrel or an alternative rain and moisture collection system
- a permeable ground cover surface that allows water to reach underground basins, aquifers or water collection points
- all plants, trees and grasses
- water-saving surfactants
- soil and compost
Examples of items that do not qualify for the exemption include:
- construction/building materials
- awnings and other items used to create shade
- air conditioners
- ceiling fans
Get more information from the Texas Comptroller here: https://www.comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/publications/98-1018.php
Please check our listing & the below map to find participating retailers in your area. Thank you!
If you own a retail business, CLICK HERE to get more information & let us know you are participating.