Memorial Day Weekend May 27 – May 29, 2023
Over Memorial Day Weekend, retailers can sell select water-saving products without charging sales tax (includes all plants & more). Below is a list of the items that qualify for the sales tax exemption:
WaterSense Products During Memorial Day Weekend, retailers do not need to charge sales tax on any product tax-free that displays a WaterSense label or logo. These items can be bought for either personal or business purposes.
Water-Conserving Products Consumers can also purchase certain water-conserving products tax-free. Unlike WaterSense-labeled items, these items are only exempt when purchased for use at a residential property.
Items are tax-free during the holiday that are used or planted for:
- conserving or retaining groundwater;
- recharging water tables; or
- decreasing ambient air temperature, and so limiting water evaporation
Examples of items that qualify for the exemption include:
- a soaker or drip-irrigation hose
- a moisture control for a sprinkler or irrigation system
- a rain barrel or an alternative rain and moisture collection system
- a permeable ground cover surface that allows water to reach underground basins, aquifers or water collection points
- all plants, trees and grasses
- water-saving surfactants
- soil and compost
Examples of items that do not qualify for the exemption include:
- construction/building materials
- awnings and other items used to create shade
- air conditioners
- ceiling fans
Get more information from the Texas Comptroller here: https://www.comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/publications/98-1018.php
If you own a retail business, CLICK HERE to get more information & let us know you are participating.